Thursday, April 23, 2009

Eaton Leads O's Passed Pale Hose, 6-2

Adam Eaton really needed this start to keep a firm (relatively speaking) hold on a rotation spot, even with the injury that'll side-line Alfredo Simon for the rest of the year. And it was a dandy; 7.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 9 K. As I said during his last start, Eaton didn't really look as bad as his line (mostly the ERA) would indicate. His ERA is still high at 7.04, but he's not walking guys (2.35 BB/9) or giving up home runs (0.6 HR/9) and he's one of two O's (Chris Ray being the other) striking out over a batter per inning (11.15 K/9, compared to 6.57 for his career). I said some not particularly supportive things about Eaton when he was signed, but right now I have to say that I'm OK with him keeping a rotation spot for at least a little while longer. He lucks into a good first half and maybe the team can spin him for something at the deadline.

Also, it never hurts when the offense puts 6 runs on the board for you, with every Oriole getting on base again. Maybe I didn't pay attention to it before this season, but it seems like every other game that happens with the bats (that eight or nine guys all get on). I suppose I could look into it (I won't), but I would assume that such a thing isn't really common. Maybe I'm off base (no pun intended - well, maybe a little bit), but I still think it's a good thing to see and so I'll keep mentioning it until I realize that I'm wrong (I guess 9 times on-base - you for each hitter - and 27 outs would be an OBP around .250, which is pretty bad. That realization came about fairly quickly.). In any case, good job O's hitters.

No comments: