Monday, May 19, 2008

Another Uwe Boll Classic

I played Dungeon Siege (well, Dungeon Siege 2) and I have to say that it was a pretty fun game. Not terribly complicated, but fun. When I originally saw the trailers for In The Name Of The King, I thought it looked pretty dumb - a Lord Of The Rings knock-off. Then I found out that the movie was actually based on the game; it's A Dungeon Siege Tale. After watching it, I have to conclude that yes, it is pretty dumb (and clearly a LOTR knock-off). That was as expected. The part that was surprising was the number of legitimate actors in the movie. Action star Jason Statham played the lead role of Farmer. Fine; he's been in some not-so-great roles. Then there was Ray Liotta as Gallian, the villain. He did a pretty poor job (actually, everyone did - the acting was pretty retched). It also had Ron Perlman, Leelee Sobieski, Claire Forlani, Matthew Lillard, John-Rhys Davies (why not just steal the whole cast?), Kristanna Loken, and of course, Burt Reynolds. Yup, Burt Reynolds. In A Dungeon Siege Tale. The movie got a 15 on Metacritic, which I think is a little harsh, as I did manage to get through the whole thing.

I will say that it didn't have any redeeming qualities, though it was still about 1,000 times better than Vampires vs. Zombies. That is easily - easily - the worst movie I've ever seen. I had to watch the damn thing three times before I could figure out what was going on. [The movie interestingly stars scream-queen Brinke Stevens, who is actually a member of Mensa. I think that actually makes me think even less of it, for some reason.]

No comments: