Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Maybe He Should Spell It "Kole" With A 'K'

I'd never seen Cole Hamels pitch before today [MASN2 had Phillies-Nats instead of the O's game]. His stuff looks pretty unimpressive, but I understand why hitters have trouble with him. His fastball is at 90-92 and his change-up is at 80-82, but they look exactly the same. Then he throws up the occasional looping curveball, and I don't know how hitters can keep their timing at all. Jason Bergmann pitched very well in his own right (7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K including Ryan Howard three times), but Hamels absolutely dominated a weak Nationals line-up (7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 11 K). Neither starter got a decision however, as the game was still tied 0-0 going into the ninth. The Phillies scored a run, and took the game 1-0.

I've heard that Hamels' mechanics may lead to an injury, and though I can't say anything in particular about them (I'd need to see some slowed down video) they don't look that nice to me, in general. As a baseball fan, I hope that he is able to stay on the field, as Cole is one of the best pitchers in the league.

No comments: