Monday, June 9, 2008

600 For The Kid

Congratulations to Ken Griffey Jr. on becoming the sixth member of the 600 home run club. Griffey's two-run shot off of Mark Hendrickson wasn't done in Cincinnati like he had wanted (the game was in Florida) but I'm sure he's happy to have the pressure let off a bit. I was going to talk about how Junior is a shell of his former self, but instead I just want to acknowledge how great of a career he has had - even if it wasn't quite what it could have been. He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer and was one of my favorite players for a long time. I don't know if he'll keep playing after this year, or if he may even retire in the middle of the season, but it has been a pleasure to watch him over the past 20 years (well, less for me).


Griffey swinging the bat is one of my enduring baseball memories.

No comments: