Thursday, June 12, 2008

Was The Starting Pitching Actually Ugly?

I haven't written a post in a couple of days; I also haven't seen any of the last three O's games. I know the results, but not what went down, so I'm gonna recap now and then take another break for the weekend as I move out of my place (that I'm renting) and back home until I can find something for myself. Next week I will begin blogging from my mother's house - no word yet on whether or not it will be from the basemen.

June 10th: O's - 10, Red Sox - 6

The Good: Nick Markakis (3-5); Aubrey Huff (4-5, 2 RBI); Brian Roberts and Freddie Bynum each hitting clutch two-out 2 RBI doubles in the four-run O's second; really the whole O's offense putting up 10 runs on 15 hits against Josh Beckett and co.; 4 very good scoreless innings from the pen.

The Bad: Daniel Cabrera (5 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 4 BB, 3 K, 2 HR) continuing his recent bad stretch. Hopefully some extra work with Kranitz will turn him back around.

June 11th: O's - 3, Red Sox - 6

The Good: Luke Scott homered; the offense made a semi-comeback in the ninth; Dennis Sarfate (1 IP, no runners, 2 K, 12 of 15 pitches for strikes).

The Bad: Garrett Olson (5.1 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 3 BB, 0 K, 2 HR). That looks familiar - too bad the offense was shut down by Bartolo Colon again.

June 12th: O's - 2, Red Sox - 9

The Good: Uhhh...

The Bad: Jeremy Guthrie (4.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 BB, 1 K, 1 HR) has the third straight very poor outing by a starting pitcher; Dennis Sarfate giving up a two-run homer to Youkilis; Jamie Walker giving up a two-run homer to JD Drew (lefties are hitting .388 with 4 HR against Walker this year; no one wants to trade for a LOOGY that can't, you know, LOO); both Kevin Millar (in the first) and Oscar Salazar (in the eighth) having to leave the game due to injury.

Wow did this series go down hill fast. Hopefully a weekend set with the Pirates can turn that around. Still, it was a winning roadtrip (5-4) and the O's are just one game below .500 (32-33). Every time they drop below that line I wonder if it will be the last the Birds will see of it; and every time (so far) they have fought their way back to at least get even. There's no quit in this team.

No comments: