Thursday, March 13, 2008

Designated Hebrew

Billy Crystal signed a one-day contract with the New York Yankees, and played as the DH and lead-off hitter in their spring training game against the Pirates. He ran the count to 3-1 before striking out swinging on two quality pitches. He even managed to foul a pitch off down the first base line. It sounds like some people thought that it made a mockery of the sport (or whatever), but I think it was pretty cool. It was like seeing one of your people (non-professional athletes, I guess - in this instance Crystal wasn't an actor, he was just a regular Joe) up there. If only I was rich and famous enough to get a chance to go and stand in that batter's box, shaking with fear as 90+ mph fastballs fly not all that far from my head. He looked better than some professional hitters I've seen.

No comments: