Wednesday, March 12, 2008

And I Thought He Was Injury Prone Before

This is a shame.

"Rocco Baldelli will be sidelined indefinitely - but is not retiring - because of what he said are "some type of metabolic and/or mitochondrial abnormalities,'' a condition that leaves him feeling extremely fatigued after just a brief workout.

"When I say "fatigued" my body is literally spent after a very short amount of time out on the field which makes it extremely frustrating and difficult, but it's kind of a reality right now,'' he said during a 13-minute session with reporters before Wednesday's game. "I feel like I've done a serious workout after a very short period of time, and it's a very odd feeling. ... I try not to be too dramatic when I explain what's going on, but it's not easy when you're out on the field for a very short period of time and you're done, and you're not really worth anything else out there. That's a tough thing to handle because you wonder why. You wonder why this is how your body feels.""

Tampa Bay didn't really need Baldelli with Upton now in center, but it would have been an excellent bonus to have the still talented player on the team. I've never heard of this type of thing before, and I hope there is some way to treat it. Maybe the Rays actually sign Bonds now?

No comments: